2nd Lieut H.F.E. Mackesy

Lieutenant Henry Francis Horation FADDY
Clicking on Photo will return to Page E,F,G

Lieutenant Francis Horatio (Mentioned in Despatches)

13th Battalion, Australian Imperial Force (enlisted as 2nd Lieutenant, HQ - Signalling Officer).

Born 2 April 1894, in Sydney, NSW.

Educated: 'Newnes' / 'Good public school education'.

Single; Postal employee, of Wollongong Post Office., Wollongong, NSW.

Next Of Kin: Mother; Eda Linda Faddy (nŽe Sampson). Father; Francis Horace Faddy, of Wollongong P.O., Wollongong, NSW.

Photos of Lieutenant Faddy are known to exist in the following:
Sydney Town & Country Journal 26 May 1915 p14. Sydney Mail 26 May 1915 p8

Killed in action
3rd May 1915
at the Bloody Angle / Chessboard, central Anzac sector
Aged 32

13th Battalion, A.I.F.

No Known Grave


CWGC lists NOK address as 'Cicily', Griffith Street, Manly, NSW. Address above is from Embarkation list and documents in service dossier. Great-grandson of Captain Faddy of HMS Vanguard, who fought under Admiral Nelson. (Argus May 17 1915 p6).
Father's address listed as: Manly [Sydney, NSW]. (Kalgoorlie Miner 18 May 1915 p5).

Electoral roll for North Sydney/Manly 1916:
2826, Eda Linda Faddy, home duties, Eureka, Victoria Parade (Manly).
2827, Francis Horace Faddy, storekeeper, Eureka, Victoria Parade (Manly).

Electoral roll for Lang/Dulwich Hill NSW 1913: Faddy, George Frederick, Pile Street, Dulwich Hill, retired.

Killed during the attack by the N.Z. & A. Division on Baby 700. The 13th Battalion was attempting to link up with the NZ Otago Regiment ('the men of the Dominion' mentioned in the following):
'A furious struggle took place on the edge of the cliff. As men were hit their bodies fell down 100 feet into the valley below, but for each Australian that made the plunge into space two Turks followed. As they gained a footing yard by yard the 13th deployed round to the left, and felt for the men of the Dominion. At the top of the cliff Lieutenant F.H. Faddy was mortally wounded. He was hit in the head and through the throat, collapsing into the arms of an ambulance attendant. He recovered sufficiently, however, to make his way forward into the fighting line again, with his wounds bandaged up, and there he spoke to Captain J.M.A. Durrant, but after that he was not seen again.' (Argus 16 July 1915 p5).

'Burnage knew there was a Turkish trench just ahead of him. When the 13th were holding Pope's, Sgt. E.R. Cotterill and a few scouts had crawled out on to Deadman's and the Chessboard, cheerfully facing almost certain death. Two of these scouts - Cotterill and Pte. H. George returned, their mates having been killed. They reported that the scrub was 'crawling with Turks.' But from further report from Lt. Marks, from Quinn's, Burnage knew the position of the trench. When 250 men passed him he gave the order to turn to the right, and, with Captain J.W.A. Simpson and Lt. Faddy with his compass leading, the line advanced upon it. Turks bolted from the scrub like startled game, Pte. W. Upton leading a charge after them. Fire was coming from everywhere, and the enemy threw a few bombs, one of which wounded Faddy in the neck. He commenced to walk back, but was never heard of again.' (White, T.A. p33).

'Dear Madam, With reference to the regrettable loss of your son, Lieutenant F.H. Faddy, 13th Battalion, herewith please find copy of a report by Colonel J.M.A. Durrant, O.C. 13th Battalion. 'The Battalion was to do a night attack on 3rd May on the 'Chess Board' in front of Pope's Hill and moved out in single file headed by the Scouts and Lt. Faddy who was the Signalling Officer. The operation was a very difficult one on account of the many snipers all round.
The Battalion had succeeded in reaching their allotted position when a Turk rushed out of a bush and fired three shots at one scout whom he killed, one at Faddy whom he hit and the third at another officer whom he missed. About half an hour after this had occurred, Mr Faddy came to informant and said 'I am wounded in head and neck'. His wounds were bound up. Informant made him sit down in a sheltered place and then directed him to the Dressing Station down the hill and went with him part of the way and after seeing that he took the right direction returned. This is the last that was seen of him. Search was made through the lists of names at all the hospitals at Anzac but without finding any trace of him.
Informant thinks he must have died of his wounds. On account of his bravery on this occasion he was mentioned in despatches. Alexandria Base details unfortunately reported him as 'Convalescent' which was afterwards proved to be untrue.' Ref:- Lt. Col. J.M.A. Durrant, O.C. 13th Battalion.' (Letter from Base Records, Melbourne, to Mrs E. L. Faddy, 21 Ashburnie [sic] (should be 'Ashburner') Street, Manly, NSW, dated 4th March 1916).

'The night before the charge, early on the morning of the 3rd May, Faddy came up to informant's gun pit, which the Lt. had been using as an observation station, to say good-bye, as he felt he would never come back; he gave the men with the gun his telescope. In the morning Lt. Faddy went up Dead Man's Gully and led the charge across Bald's Ridge in front of Pope's Hill. He never returned.' Ref:- Corporal G. Kirkland, 945, 13th Battalion AIF, Moascar Camp, Ismailia, Egypt, 21 Feb 1916.

'Witness said Faddy was very badly wounded about 2nd May at Dead Man's Ridge. He was seen by an officer of the Battalion in a badly wounded condition and was advised to go to a dressing station near by. Everything was terribly mixed up. It is supposed that he wandered away in an unconscious state and died. Nothing was heard of him afterwards.' (Witness; Lieut. S.L. Berry, 13th Battalion, Tel-el-Kebir, Egypt, 23 Feb 1916).

'Major J.M.A. Durrant, 13th Battalion, A.I.F. stated:- During the action against the Turks on the night of 2/3.5.15 about 9.30 p.m. on 2.5.15 I was told by Lieut-Colonel Burnage that Lieut Faddy had been shot. About 10 p.m., I was about 50 yds behind our firing line which covered a front of about 250 yds running N.E. in prolongation of the words DEAD MAN'S RIDGE on map Anzac position. Lieut. Faddy came up from the firing line towards me. His head was bound up and I asked him what was the matter. He replied 'I am shot in the neck and in the head.' I walked for 10 or 15 yds with him, showed him the way down through the Gully by which the 16th Battalion had moved up. This Gully was under intermittent fire. Since then I have not seen Lieut. Faddy, nor have I been able to obtain any information about him, either from Officers or others of the 13th Battalion, A.A.M.C., or any other Unit.
Special enquiry has been made at the Hospitals on beach but no record of his having passed their hands has been traced. No one was with Lieut. Faddy when he left me. He walked with firm step and spoke plainly otherwise I should have sent someone with him. Unless he can be traced in Alexandria or at any other Base Hospital I consider that the only reasonable conclusion is that he was either shot or died of wounds while he was proceeding down the gully and that he is dead.' (Undated statement by Major J.M.A. Durrant, 13th Battalion).

Lest We Forget

Top Of Page

Back to Anzac Officers Died at Gallipoli Home Page